However, the public beta of iOS 16 is already accessible. The formal release of iOS 16 for all compatible iPhones is scheduled for September 2022. This article explains how to install the various beta versions of iOS 16—the developer beta, the public beta, and the stable version—on your iPhone.
iOS 16 roadmap
The final version of iOS 16 is anticipated to be released in September of this year for all supported iPhone models since Apple should follow the precedent set by earlier iOS versions. Before that, the business offered the beta testing program on June 6 solely for developers. In July 2022, the public beta is anticipated to be published.
iOS 16 roadmap
- June 6, 2022: iOS 16 developer beta released.
- July 11, 2022: iOS 16 public beta released.
- September 2022: iOS 16 official expected to be released.
The ability to customize the Lock screen is without a doubt the latest iOS version’s standout feature. You may then build many lock screen alternatives and switch between them to select the one that best suits your needs at all times.
Check out our iOS 16 guide to learn what the features one can expect to see in the next version of Apple’s mobile operating system.
How to download and install iOS 16 on your iPhone
It is strongly advised that you back up your iPhone before installation so that, in the event that something goes wrong, you may restore it to the stable version of the operating system.
The beta testing for iOS 16 ended on July 11!
You will want a developer account to quickly download the first beta file and install it on your iPhone in order to test the developer beta. Remember that the term “beta software” refers to a software version that is still in development and has not yet been made available to the general public. Additionally, a membership in the Apple Developer Program, which costs about $100, is required during this period.
Before testing your software on your device, make sure you enable Developer Mode in Settings > Privacy & Security. Follow the steps below to install iOS 16 developer beta on your iPhone using the configuration profile:
- Download the configuration profile from the Apple Developer page (a developer account is required to do so).
- On your device: Download the configuration profile directly onto your device and follow the installation instructions.
- On your Mac or PC: Save the file to your hard disk and email it to an account on your iPhone. Select the configuration profile in Mail and follow the corresponding installation instructions.
- Connect your device to a power cable and connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- Tap Settings > General > Software Update.
- Click on Download and Install.
- Select Install.
- If prompted, enter your passcode.
- As soon as the device restarts, it will run iOS 16 developer beta.
On July 11, 2022, Apple published the public beta for iOS 16. You must first sign up for the Apple Beta Software Program in order to enroll your devices and gain access to the public betas, where you may test out the newest features before the official version is published. When the iOS 16 public beta files are ready for downloading, adhere to following instructions to install the update package:
- Go to beta.apple.com on your iPhone and log in with your Apple ID.
- Click Enroll your iOS device to download the iOS 16 public beta installation profile to your iPhone (follow the device’s on-screen instructions).
- Launch open the Settings app on your device.
- A new item will indicate that the Setup Profile has been detected. Select that option, on the next screen tap the Install button and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Note: this step only installs the file that releases the trial versions on the device.
- To install the iOS beta, follow the traditional procedure: Settings > General > Software Update.
- Once the process is complete, your iPhone will run iOS 16 public beta.
The official operating system upgrade for the iPhone will be sent Over-The-Air (OTA), necessitating just an Internet connection to download the update file. Follow the instructions below to download and install iOS 16 on your smartphone to see if it is available:
- Launch Settings on your iPhone.
- Navigate to the General option.
- Click Software Update. The system will search for any available updates.
- In the event that an update is now available, relevant update information will appear on the device screen. Click the Download and Install option.
- After downloading the latest version, select Install Now.
- After rebooting, your iPhone will be running the iOS 16.
Remember! Only after restarting the device will the update be applied. The iPhone must have at least 50% battery life left or be plugged into a charger to be able to do this. Enjoy your downloads!
How new iOS versions are developed
Apple has a somewhat different development methodology than Google does with Android in addition to having a more regulated ecosystem. While both systems receive significant yearly improvements, iOS frequently introduces significant modifications in between version releases.
Apple provides beta versions for minor modifications to iOS (including iPadOS and other derivative systems), such as 16.1, 16.2, etc., and they are typically accessible for a few weeks prior to the release of the final stable version. Google conducts a single assessment process across a number of months prior to the yearly Android version release, which typically takes place in the second part of the year.